CALLAWAY’ the coastal carpet python is feeling a bit below par.
He has two uncomfortable lumps in his stomach after swallowing two golf balls he thought were eggs.
A resident from Kyogle in northern NSW had put the balls in his chicken coop to encourage his hens to lay.
But Callaway – named after the famous brand of golf balls – thought the ‘eggs’ were the real thing and duly swallowed them.
The snake has been brought to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary’s animal hospital where he will undergo surgery later today.
“If we didn’t get the golf balls out, Callaway would eventually starve to death,” vet Andrew Hill said.
Dr Hill said Callaway should make a full recovery and be back in the wild soon.
It’s not the first snake with a bad case of indigestion to be treated at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.